Saturday, June 20, 2009

Manitoba 2009 Part 2

I returned to Duck Mountain Provincial Park to complete my playback experiments. I had a great start to the morning of 6/18/09 until one of the iPods I was using did not play its song recordings. When I checked it, I found that my batteries were dying. I had so much success in Saskatchewan that I forgot to check battery power in all of the equipment.


I lost the entire day but the Duck Mountain Provincial Park staff were kind enough to let me recharge the batteries so I could finish up the experiments the following morning – 6/19/09. Technology – can’t live with it and can’t live without it (my language in the field was much different than being reported here).

I finished up the playback experiments on 6/19/09 and just avoided the rain. It pays to get up at 5 am in the morning when you are doing field work. The rain began around 9:00 am. I have some fantastic data to analyze when I get back.

I also made some new videos of birds in the Park and have embedded them here.

Ruffed Grouse Displaying





American White Pelican



Bonaparte's Gull bathing





More great birding as usual and my sighting are found the June 2009 website.

My field work has been generously supported by a Summer Research Grant from Saint Anselm College.

No comments:

Post a Comment