Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wisconsin 2009

The temperatures have been below average with lows in the 40s at night to daytime highs in the high 50s to low 60s. Rain put a damper on my field work on 8 June so I spent the rest of the day in the Sayner public library catching up on computer work – digitizing songs, photos and videos.

The environment has changed a little bit from Michigan. There are more bogs (see photo) and less pine forest as one of the climax ecosystems in this area.

I have attached video of White-tailed Deer that were abundant in this area – a hunter’s dream come true. I probably saw 15-20 deer a day and many roadkills from driving accidents.




Gas prices in northern Wisconsin were the highest so far at $2.89 – $2.99/gallon.

I finally finished recordings on 9 June with a total of 18 Mourning Warbler males for this state. It was lower than anticipated but still an adequate sample.

Click here for an update on the daylists of birds that I am also maintaining on the trip.

I’d like to thank Amber Roth, Ph.D. candidate at Michigan Tech University, and her two colleagues, Kevin and Ethan, for helping me locate the warblers.

My field work has been generously supported by a Summer Research Grant from Saint Anselm College.

No comments:

Post a Comment