Monday, June 15, 2009

Saskatchewan 2009 Part 1




More birds of the boreal forest have begun to appear in Manitoba and Saskatchewan – Bonaparte’s Gull, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Boreal Chickadee, Swainson’s Thrush, Tennessee Warbler, Lincoln’s Sparrow


In Manitoba I ran into some problems with the playback experiments. The local birds were not responding to any of the song types including some Western songs from Alberta. I recorded local birds this morning and yesterday in Manitoba. I am going to use them in a new round of playback experiments. These birds readily react to songs of other birds from Saskatchewan as I found out earlier today. I think I am on to something but I need the experiments and the data to confirm some ideas.


I made some more great videos in the Park for my Ornithology class collection.

Canada Jay adult



Barn Swallow



Purple Martin




Gas is more expensive here in Canada ranging from $0.99 – $1.03/liter. These numbers convert to $3.75 - $3.90/gallon.


More great birding as usual and my sighting are found the June 2009 website.

My field work has been generously supported by a Summer Research Grant from Saint Anselm College.

No comments:

Post a Comment